Nice to Meet You!
By day, I work as a Senior Lecturer in Management (Entrepreneurship, Freelancing, and Small Business) at the University of Tasmania, Australia.
I’m passionate about exploring digital tech and discovering how it can enhance our lives.
We’re at a magical time in history right now where technology can be applied to advance our career goals, whether they be climbing the #CorporateLadder, embracing our inner #Entrepreneur, or mastering the art of #PerpetualPoolsideMargaritas!
On this website, I share what I’m learning. For more content, sign up for my (regularly irregularly sent) newsletter.
Academic Career Overview
- PhD Entrepreneurship
- Masters Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Graduate Certificate Learning & Teaching (Higher Education)
I hold a PhD in cross-disciplinary research on health and well-being in entrepreneurs, a Master’s degree in Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and a Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education. Prior to academia, I ran a successful creative training business, which operated nationally across Australia – I grew the business and then sold it to focus on a life in academia. Although none of my business experiences comes with a university stamp, it sure was an education!
- Eager, B., Maritz, P. A., & Millemann, J. A. (2022). The silver economy on wheels: a narrative review of the mature-aged, hypermobile gig worker economy. Small Enterprise Research. https://doi.org/10.1080/13215906.2022.2032295
- Maritz, P. A., Eager, B., & De Klerk, S. (2021). Entrepreneurship and self-employment for mature-aged people. Australian Journal of Career Development. 30(1), 3-14. https://doi.org/10.1177/1038416220978971
- Eager, B., & Cook, E. (2020). Micro-credentialing of entrepreneurship education in a practice-based undergraduate engineering context. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, 3(4), 352-363. https://doi.org/10.1177/2515127419890344
- Eager, B., Lehman, K., & Scollard, J. (2020). Introducing the tri-layered student online experience framework: Moving from file repository to narrative journey. Journal of Applied Learning and Teaching, 3(1), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.37074/jalt.2020.3.s1.8
- Eager, B., Grant, S., & Maritz, A. (2019). Classifying coping among entrepreneurs: Is it about time? Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 26(4), 486-503. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-02-2018-0064
- Maritz, P.A., & Eager, B. (2017). Senior entrepreneurship themes: An Australian perspective. International Journal of Organizational Innovation, 9(4), 206-221.
- Eager, B., Grant, S., & Maritz, A. (2017). Time-orientation as a precursor to coping responses in entrepreneurs. The International Journal of Organizational Innovation, 10(2), 6-12.
- Maritz, P. A., Zolin, R., de Waal, G.A., Fisher, R., Perenyi, A., & Eager, B. (2015). Senior entrepreneurship in Australia: Active ageing and extending working lives. Special Issue: The International Journal of Organizational Innovation, September, 1-39.
- Birdthistle, N., Keane, T., Linden, T., Eager, B. (2023). Back to school: An examination of teachers’ knowledge and understanding of entrepreneurship education. In: Kaya-Capocci, S., Peters-Burton, E. (eds) Enhancing Entrepreneurial Mindsets Through STEM Education. Integrated Science, vol 15. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-17816-0_10
- Eager, B. (2022). Juggling the triad: taking care of yourself with a block-mode approach to research, teaching, and service. In N. Lemon (Ed.), Creating a place for self-care and wellbeing in higher education: Finding Meaning Across Academia. Routledge.
- Maritz, P. A., Eager, B., & De Klerk, S. (2021). Senior entrepreneurship as untapped potential. In T. Cooney (Ed.), The Palgrave Handbook of Minority Entrepreneurship. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Maritz, P. A., Jones, C., Foley, D., De Klerk, S., Eager, B., & Nguyen, Q. (2021). Entrepreneurship education in Australia. In C. H. Matthews (Ed.), Annals of entrepreneurship education and pedagogy (4th ed.). Edward Elgar.
- Eager, B., Grant, S., & Birdthistle, N. (2019). Enhancing wellbeing of women in entrepreneurship through media narrative. In M. Lepeley, K. Kuschel, N. Beutell, N. Pouw, & E. Eijdenberg (Eds.), Wellbeing of women in entrepreneurship: a global perspective. Routledge.
- Eager, B. (2017). An entrepreneurial roadmap to managing postgraduate stress. In C. McMaster, C. Murphy, B. Whitburn, & I. Mewburn (Eds.), Postgraduate study in Australia: Surviving and succeeding (pp. 189-196). Peter Lang.
- Eager, B. (2017). Dimensions of coping in entrepreneurs: Functional and temporal perspectives and implications for burnout.
- Eager, B. (2023, March 22). ChatGPT: To ban or not to ban? [Webinar]. QAA UK The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.
- Eager, B. (2023, February 23-24). ChatGPT: Transforming the Landscape of Higher Education [Plenary presentation]. QAA UK The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.
- Eager, B., Standish, M. (2022, 28 November – 2 December). Where’d my legs go? Experiences of teaching in the metaverse: 3D virtual classrooms. Teaching Matters. https://secure.utas.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/1626458/Program-Overview-v8.pdf
- Eager, B., Birdthistle, N., & Grant, S. (2020, August 7-11). Visual discourse and role modelling in on-screen representations of women entrepreneurs. Academy of Management. https://journals.aom.org/doi/10.5465/AMBPP.2020.21276abstract
- Eager, B. (2020, November 30–December 2). Co-created assessment as a tool for enhancing student connectedness. Teaching Matters, Tasmania.
- Eager, B., & Cook, E. (2019, February 5). Micro-credentialing of entrepreneurship education in a practice-based undergraduate engineering context. ACERE Educator’s Forum, Australia.
- Eager, B., Birdthistle, N., Grant, S., & Flynn, A. (2019, June 2-4). Beyond baby food: Film narrative as a limiting factor for female entrepreneurship advancement. DIANA International Conference on Women’s Entrepreneurship Research, Babson College, Wellesley, MA.
- Eager, B., Lehman, K., & Scollard, J. (2019, November 26). From file repository to narrative journey: a tri-layered framework for enhancing students’ online learning experiences. Teaching Matters, Tasmania.
- Eager, B. (2016, September 14). Write right!? A PhD candidate’s journey experimenting with every writing hack in the book. Living Research Conference, Swinburne University of Australia. Melbourne. [Best Presentation Award]
- Eager, B., Grant, S., & Maritz, A. (2015, April 1-6)). Entrepreneurs and the stress-coping-strain process: How relevant are existing frameworks? Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research Exchange (ACERE), Adelaide.
- Eager, B. (2014, August 29). How are you coping with your research degree? Living Research Conference Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne.
- Eager, B., & Maritz, A. (2011, February 1-4). Entrepreneurial stress: A conceptual model. Proceedings of the 8th International Australian Graduate School of Entrepreneurship (AGSE) Research Exchange, Melbourne, pp. 163-175.
- Invergowrie Foundation, $333,289, 2019-2021, ‘Acorns to oak trees: Creative approaches to teaching STEM to advance female students’, with N. Birdthistle, T. Keane, and T. Linden.
- Invergowrie Foundation $60,000, 2018, ‘Combatting Underrepresentation of females in STEM through entrepreneurship’, with N. Birdthistle, T. Keane, and T. Linden.
- ARAS Investments Pty Ltd. $18,975, 2018, ‘Psychology of Entrepreneurs’, with T. Bednall, S. Wilson, N. Birdthistle.
- Alexander Gosling Bequest $6,000, 2018, ‘A systematic review of the relationship between entrepreneurship and mental health and well-being’, with S. Wilson, S. Grant, A. Bardoel, and B. Bullock.
- National Seniors Australia, $48,000, 2015, ‘Senior entrepreneurship in Australia: Active ageing and extending working lives, with A. Maritz, R. Zolin, A. De Waal, R. Fisher, A. Perenyi.
- Swinburne University Postgraduate Research Award (SUPRA), $52,000, ‘Promoting Growth in Research Scholarship (PGRS)’, 2015-2017.
- Eager, B., Grimmer, L. & Newstead, T. (2023, March 6). AI could take your job, but it can also help you score a new one with these simple tips. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/ai-could-take-your-job-but-it-can-also-help-you-score-a-new-one-with-these-simple-tips-199883
- Eager, B, ‘#Vanlife: Interview with Tom Baddeley’, Breakfast, ABC Radio Perth, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 28 April 2022 [Media Interview] Interview at 0:35:33 https://www.abc.net.au/radio/perth/programs/breakfast/breakfast/13850312
- Eager, B, ‘#Vanlife, Caravaning and Exploring Australia: Interview with Richard Glover’, Drive, ABC Radio Sydney, Australian Broadcasting Coorporation, 26 April 2022 [Media Interview]. Interview at 2:41:00 https://www.abc.net.au/radio/sydney/programs/drive/drive/13846860
- Eager, B., & Maritz, A. (2022, April 26). It’s not all Nomadland: how #vanlife made mobile living a middle-class aspiration. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/its-not-all-nomadland-how-vanlife-made-mobile-living-a-middle-class-aspiration-180876
- Eager, B., & Grimmer, L. (2020, September 15). The inventor tells a story of a fraudulent female billionaire. Where are the films starring successful women entrepreneurs? The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/the-inventor-tells-a-story-of-a-fraudulent-female-billionaire-where-are-the-films-starring-successful-women-entrepreneurs-145922
- Eager, B. (2020, September 13). Blockie route threatens Launceston’s cultural hub. The Examiner.
- Eager, B. (2020, May 29). Workers make tracks for Tassie. The Mercury.
- Eager, B. (2020, May 2). Digital ready, set, go for small business. The Examiner. https://www.examiner.com.au/story/6738873/digital-ready-set-go-for-small-businesses/
- Eager, B. (2020, April 23). How to pivot out of a crisis. The Mercury. [Media Interview].
- Maritz, A., Obschonka, M., Perenyi, A., Eager, B., Price, B., Pickering, J., & Cosson, B. (2020, April 5). Australian entrepreneurship: A way past the current crisis. https://campusmorningmail.com.au/news/australian-entrepreneurship-a-way-past-the-current-crisis/
- Maritz, A., Obschonka, M., Perenyi, A., Eager, B., Price, B., Pickering, J., & Cosson, B. (2020, March 27). Doom and gloom for Australian businesses, but maintaining our entrepreneurial spirit may be the silver lining. La Trobe University.
- Eager, B. (2019, June 26). Learning from Eminem? The Thesis Whisperer. https://thesiswhisperer.com/2019/06/26/13471/
- Eager, B. (2018, September 4). Residential writing retreats: three wishes for academic output. The Research Whisperer. https://researchwhisperer.org/2018/09/04/writing-retreats/
- Eager, B. (2017, November 14). The gift of record keeping: A tool for future promotion. The Research Whisperer. https://researchwhisperer.org/2017/11/14/the-gift-of-record-keeping-a-tool-for-future-promotion/#more-8032
- Eager, B. (2019). Combining quantitative data obtained from convenience and panel sampling: A case for avoiding waste in data collection efforts in entrepreneurship research. SAGE Research Methods Cases. https://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781526468093
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org