Nice to Meet You!
We are fortunate to be living in a transformative era where technology empowers us to chase our dreams.
Here, I chronicle my journey through this ever-changing terrain, sharing insights and discoveries along the way.
In my role as a Senior Lecturer at the University of Tasmania, Australia, I teach and research freelancing, small business, entrepreneurship, and applied artificial intelligence. Additionally, I offer training and development workshops for the Higher Education sector.
Academic Career Overview
Explore my academic qualifications, publications, conference presentations, and more.
- PhD Entrepreneurship (cross-disciplinary, qualitative and quantitative research)
- Masters Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Graduate Certificate Learning & Teaching (Higher Education)
I hold a PhD in cross-disciplinary research on health and well-being in entrepreneurs, a Master’s degree in Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and a Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education. Prior to academia, I ran a successful creative training business, which operated nationally across Australia – I grew the business and then sold it to focus on a life in academia. Although none of my business experiences comes with a university stamp, it sure was an education!
- Eager, B., & Brunton, R. (2023). Prompting Higher Education Towards AI-Augmented Teaching and Learning Practice. Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice, 20(5). https://doi.org/10.53761/1.20.5.02
- Eager, B., Maritz, P. A., & Millemann, J. A. (2022). The silver economy on wheels: a narrative review of the mature-aged, hypermobile gig worker economy. Small Enterprise Research. https://doi.org/10.1080/13215906.2022.2032295
- Maritz, P. A., Eager, B., & De Klerk, S. (2021). Entrepreneurship and self-employment for mature-aged people. Australian Journal of Career Development. 30(1), 3-14. https://doi.org/10.1177/1038416220978971
- Eager, B., & Cook, E. (2020). Micro-credentialing of entrepreneurship education in a practice-based undergraduate engineering context. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, 3(4), 352-363. https://doi.org/10.1177/2515127419890344
- Eager, B., Lehman, K., & Scollard, J. (2020). Introducing the tri-layered student online experience framework: Moving from file repository to narrative journey. Journal of Applied Learning and Teaching, 3(1), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.37074/jalt.2020.3.s1.8
- Eager, B., Grant, S., & Maritz, A. (2019). Classifying coping among entrepreneurs: Is it about time? Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 26(4), 486-503. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-02-2018-0064
- Maritz, P.A., & Eager, B. (2017). Senior entrepreneurship themes: An Australian perspective. International Journal of Organizational Innovation, 9(4), 206-221.
- Eager, B., Grant, S., & Maritz, A. (2017). Time-orientation as a precursor to coping responses in entrepreneurs. The International Journal of Organizational Innovation, 10(2), 6-12.
- Maritz, P. A., Zolin, R., de Waal, G.A., Fisher, R., Perenyi, A., & Eager, B. (2015). Senior entrepreneurship in Australia: Active ageing and extending working lives. Special Issue: The International Journal of Organizational Innovation, September, 1-39.
- Eager, B. (2023). Academic Writing AI Prompts Phrasebook. Independently Published. https://www.amazon.com/Prompt-Phrasebook-Academic-Writing-Accelerate/dp/B0BZBR76SZ
- Birdthistle, N., Keane, T., Linden, T., Eager, B. (2023). Back to school: An examination of teachers’ knowledge and understanding of entrepreneurship education. In: Kaya-Capocci, S., Peters-Burton, E. (eds) Enhancing Entrepreneurial Mindsets Through STEM Education. Integrated Science, vol 15. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-17816-0_10
- Eager, B. (2022). Juggling the triad: taking care of yourself with a block-mode approach to research, teaching, and service. In N. Lemon (Ed.), Creating a place for self-care and wellbeing in higher education: Finding Meaning Across Academia. Routledge.
- Maritz, P. A., Eager, B., & De Klerk, S. (2021). Senior entrepreneurship as untapped potential. In T. Cooney (Ed.), The Palgrave Handbook of Minority Entrepreneurship. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Maritz, P. A., Jones, C., Foley, D., De Klerk, S., Eager, B., & Nguyen, Q. (2021). Entrepreneurship education in Australia. In C. H. Matthews (Ed.), Annals of entrepreneurship education and pedagogy (4th ed.). Edward Elgar.
- Eager, B., Grant, S., & Birdthistle, N. (2019). Enhancing wellbeing of women in entrepreneurship through media narrative. In M. Lepeley, K. Kuschel, N. Beutell, N. Pouw, & E. Eijdenberg (Eds.), Wellbeing of women in entrepreneurship: a global perspective. Routledge.
- Eager, B. (2017). An entrepreneurial roadmap to managing postgraduate stress. In C. McMaster, C. Murphy, B. Whitburn, & I. Mewburn (Eds.), Postgraduate study in Australia: Surviving and succeeding (pp. 189-196). Peter Lang.
- Eager, B. (2017). Dimensions of coping in entrepreneurs: Functional and temporal perspectives and implications for burnout.
- Eager, B., Birdthistle, N. (2023, June 4-5). Grace and Frankie: Enhancing Visibility of later-life women’s entrepreneurship experience [Paper presentation]. DIANA International Conference on Women’s Entrepreneurship Research, Babson College, Wellesley, MA.
- Eager, B. (2023, March 22). ChatGPT: To ban or not to ban? [Webinar]. QAA UK The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.
- Eager, B. (2023, February 23-24). ChatGPT: Transforming the Landscape of Higher Education [Plenary presentation]. QAA UK The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.
- Eager, B., Standish, M. (2022, 28 November – 2 December). Where’d my legs go? Experiences of teaching in the metaverse: 3D virtual classrooms. Teaching Matters. https://secure.utas.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/1626458/Program-Overview-v8.pdf
- Eager, B., Birdthistle, N., & Grant, S. (2020, August 7-11). Visual discourse and role modelling in on-screen representations of women entrepreneurs. Academy of Management. https://journals.aom.org/doi/10.5465/AMBPP.2020.21276abstract
- Eager, B. (2020, November 30–December 2). Co-created assessment as a tool for enhancing student connectedness. Teaching Matters, Tasmania.
- Eager, B., & Cook, E. (2019, February 5). Micro-credentialing of entrepreneurship education in a practice-based undergraduate engineering context. ACERE Educator’s Forum, Australia.
- Eager, B., Birdthistle, N., Grant, S., & Flynn, A. (2019, June 2-4). Beyond baby food: Film narrative as a limiting factor for female entrepreneurship advancement. DIANA International Conference on Women’s Entrepreneurship Research, Babson College, Wellesley, MA.
- Eager, B., Lehman, K., & Scollard, J. (2019, November 26). From file repository to narrative journey: a tri-layered framework for enhancing students’ online learning experiences. Teaching Matters, Tasmania.
- Eager, B. (2016, September 14). Write right!? A PhD candidate’s journey experimenting with every writing hack in the book. Living Research Conference, Swinburne University of Australia. Melbourne. [Best Presentation Award]
- Eager, B., Grant, S., & Maritz, A. (2015, April 1-6). Entrepreneurs and the stress-coping-strain process: How relevant are existing frameworks? Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research Exchange (ACERE), Adelaide.
- Eager, B. (2014, August 29). How are you coping with your research degree? Living Research Conference Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne.
- Eager, B., & Maritz, A. (2011, February 1-4). Entrepreneurial stress: A conceptual model. Proceedings of the 8th International Australian Graduate School of Entrepreneurship (AGSE) Research Exchange, Melbourne, pp. 163-175.
- Invergowrie Foundation, $333,289, 2019-2021, ‘Acorns to oak trees: Creative approaches to teaching STEM to advance female students’, with N. Birdthistle, T. Keane, and T. Linden.
- Invergowrie Foundation $60,000, 2018, ‘Combatting Underrepresentation of females in STEM through entrepreneurship’, with N. Birdthistle, T. Keane, and T. Linden.
- ARAS Investments Pty Ltd. $18,975, 2018, ‘Psychology of Entrepreneurs’, with T. Bednall, S. Wilson, N. Birdthistle.
- Alexander Gosling Bequest $6,000, 2018, ‘A systematic review of the relationship between entrepreneurship and mental health and well-being’, with S. Wilson, S. Grant, A. Bardoel, and B. Bullock.
- National Seniors Australia, $48,000, 2015, ‘Senior entrepreneurship in Australia: Active ageing and extending working lives, with A. Maritz, R. Zolin, A. De Waal, R. Fisher, A. Perenyi.
- Swinburne University Postgraduate Research Award (SUPRA), $52,000, ‘Promoting Growth in Research Scholarship (PGRS)’, 2015-2017.
- Eager, B., Grimmer, L. & Newstead, T. (2023, March 6). AI could take your job, but it can also help you score a new one with these simple tips. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/ai-could-take-your-job-but-it-can-also-help-you-score-a-new-one-with-these-simple-tips-199883
- Eager, B, ‘#Vanlife: Interview with Tom Baddeley’, Breakfast, ABC Radio Perth, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 28 April 2022 [Media Interview] Interview at 0:35:33 https://www.abc.net.au/radio/perth/programs/breakfast/breakfast/13850312
- Eager, B, ‘#Vanlife, Caravaning and Exploring Australia: Interview with Richard Glover’, Drive, ABC Radio Sydney, Australian Broadcasting Coorporation, 26 April 2022 [Media Interview]. Interview at 2:41:00 https://www.abc.net.au/radio/sydney/programs/drive/drive/13846860
- Eager, B., & Maritz, A. (2022, April 26). It’s not all Nomadland: how #vanlife made mobile living a middle-class aspiration. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/its-not-all-nomadland-how-vanlife-made-mobile-living-a-middle-class-aspiration-180876
- Eager, B., & Grimmer, L. (2020, September 15). The inventor tells a story of a fraudulent female billionaire. Where are the films starring successful women entrepreneurs? The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/the-inventor-tells-a-story-of-a-fraudulent-female-billionaire-where-are-the-films-starring-successful-women-entrepreneurs-145922
- Eager, B. (2020, September 13). Blockie route threatens Launceston’s cultural hub. The Examiner.
- Eager, B. (2020, May 29). Workers make tracks for Tassie. The Mercury.
- Eager, B. (2020, May 2). Digital ready, set, go for small business. The Examiner. https://www.examiner.com.au/story/6738873/digital-ready-set-go-for-small-businesses/
- Eager, B. (2020, April 23). How to pivot out of a crisis. The Mercury. [Media Interview].
- Maritz, A., Obschonka, M., Perenyi, A., Eager, B., Price, B., Pickering, J., & Cosson, B. (2020, April 5). Australian entrepreneurship: A way past the current crisis. https://campusmorningmail.com.au/news/australian-entrepreneurship-a-way-past-the-current-crisis/
- Maritz, A., Obschonka, M., Perenyi, A., Eager, B., Price, B., Pickering, J., & Cosson, B. (2020, March 27). Doom and gloom for Australian businesses, but maintaining our entrepreneurial spirit may be the silver lining. La Trobe University.
- Eager, B. (2019, June 26). Learning from Eminem? The Thesis Whisperer. https://thesiswhisperer.com/2019/06/26/13471/
- Eager, B. (2018, September 4). Residential writing retreats: three wishes for academic output. The Research Whisperer. https://researchwhisperer.org/2018/09/04/writing-retreats/
- Eager, B. (2017, November 14). The gift of record keeping: A tool for future promotion. The Research Whisperer. https://researchwhisperer.org/2017/11/14/the-gift-of-record-keeping-a-tool-for-future-promotion/#more-8032
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org